Re: Debian Etch Stable.

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 08:38:05AM +0100, Alexis Sukrieh wrote:
> Anthony Towns a ?crit :
> >Personally, I'd say that now would be the time for any anti-payment
> >people to say "we can do this better, and look, we'll prove it", and make
> >up their own target date for etch, and demonstrate how much energy and
> >effort can be mustered just by having a good idea and good people and
> >putting them together to get a goal achieved.
> As the DPL who set up the experiment we are talking about, I understand
> your anger against the so called "anti-payment" people, but please take
> into consideration the following:

I'm not angry. I just think now's the perfect opportunity for people
who think paying people isn't or shouldn't be what Debian's about
to demonstrate that there's an alternative that better achieves this
particular goal. In particular starting now has the benefit that while
there's still a lot to do, the licensing arguments are already dealt with,
the dunc-tank work's already been done, the freeze is already in place,
and it's not very likely that anyone's going to try working against
you. Doing that while Dunc-Tank was actively doing stuff probably would
have just been confusing, doing it now means we can clearly track the
different efforts (paid and unpaid) via rc bug graphs, upload volume,
mailing list posts and whatever else.

Whether anyone'll take up that opportunity to promote an alternative
approach is another question though. It's a lot easier to sit back and
comment on your blog, or a mailing list or irc, after all.

Cheers,
aj