Re: Debian Etch Stable.

Anthony Towns a écrit :
Personally, I'd say that now would be the time for any anti-payment
people to say "we can do this better, and look, we'll prove it", and make
up their own target date for etch, and demonstrate how much energy and
effort can be mustered just by having a good idea and good people and
putting them together to get a goal achieved.

As the DPL who set up the experiment we are talking about, I understand your anger against the so called "anti-payment" people, but please take into consideration the following:

1. Paying Debian Developers seems to make (some of) them completely humorless, everything is taken a hundred percent seriously, as if the dollars in their pockets droped their fun hability. That's a pitty.

2. You can pay DDs to boost up the wonderful project that is Debian, but you definitely cannot blame other DDs for not being as much involved as you'd like. Remember that a vast majority of us are people who contribute in their free time, most of them doing the best they can given their free time.

3. You seem to forget that the Debian Social Contract cleary defines two priorities for DDs: The users and the free software. I personnaly don't read "Our priority is to release quickly". To me releasing when "it's ready" is clearly better than setting up some "pretty-useful-etch-ignore" tags and stuff like that so the release can be out in time. Did we ever spoke about the overall quality of the resulting boosted-release?

4. Given that, be aware that I don't blame neither Andi nor Steve for trying the experiment, but I hope they can understand that beyond themselves, the whole experiment changed the game. That matters, that triggers reactions, and to me that is definitely understandable.

	debian/rules

--
Alexis Sukrieh