Re: Position Statement to the Dunc-Tanc "experiment"

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 08:37:43PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> This is going to be a personal reply, containing my personal opinion
> only.
>
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 07:46:00PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> >   Especially since it is clear now that we
> >   currently can not keep the scheduled release date, even with DT paying
> >   our RMs.
>
> Is that clear?

  based on [1] I'd say that yes it is. Even if we consider that the
people we are now work twice as fast (because twice as many) as for
sarge, we have right noe 260 RC bugs, sarge was at 125 6 months before
it was released. and at 250+ 1 year before its release.

> > - During the discussion before the experiment it was said that the
> >   living costs of the release managers are to be paid. Additionally it
> >   was said that it is "providing a reasonable amount of money to cover
> >   living expenses" and later on, that this is "below the average" they
> >   could get elsewhere. However, the official donation site[1]
> >   mentions US$ 6000.00 for each release manager. We do consider this to
> >   be neither just "living costs" nor "below average", not even by
> >   applying common taxes and insurances one has to pay. On what grounds
> >   has this amount been calculated?
>
> US$ 6000 is like 4.800 EUR. That's like a dayly rate of 220 EUR. Like
> a fourth of what a contractor of Andi's and Steve's expertise would
> cash in on the free market.

  but that's was not a salary, at least, it was what has been promised
to us. That's supposed to pay their living expenses, and please, do me a
favor, I earn *really* less than that, and I'm able to pay a mortgage
and live well.

> > So, to summarize DTs effects on Debian: It has demotivated a lot of
> > people who now either resigned, simply stopped doing (parts of their)
> > Debian work or are doing a lot less than they did before DT was
> > started.
>
> At this place, one of our worst problems surfaces again: People stop
> working _silently_ so that nobody can step in for them. And, even
> worse, people in key positions (that need special privileges do work)
> reduce their committment without stepping down, actively _prevent_
> other people from doing their work. _THIS_ is doing _BIG_ harm to the
> project.

  I'm not aware of any key role beeing held hostage because of people
that are fed up with DT. But I may be mistaken. Please enlight me.

  What happens though, is that key people that have unvaluable
knowledges and skills have left. We lost a valuable libpng maintainer,
we lost a guy that understood how timezones worked, how xkb worked, and
a valuable l10n team member, a weekly DWN, etc…  Some of those places
are vacant because there is simply nobody else to fill the gaps.

  [1] http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit