Re: Using money to fund Debian: social issues

Em Quinta 12 Outubro 2006 00:36, Russ Allbery escreveu:
> Tiago Saboga <tiagosaboga@terra.com.br> writes:
> > But the funding of developers has other consequences. In the event this
> > idea fully succeeds (and I think it's really possible), we may think
> > about a "core" debian team, most of them in key positions, who are
> > funded by Debian.
>
> Please note that no one, not even the dunc-tank folks in the comments that
> I've seen from them, is proposing ever funding anyone for a full-time
> ongoing position.  I personally think that would be a very bad idea.  It
> raises numerous issues that the sort of contract work that has been talked
> about does not.

While I agree the dunc-tank is a very limited experience, I think it's
pointing in that direction. I'm not sure if it should not be done, but
everyone should be aware of the foreseeable consequences.

Besides that, I don't think the contract work is really different from a
full-time position, if the contracts are enough to make a living for the
developer.  It's not the case for dunc-tank, you're right. But the dunc-tank
is seen as an experiment, as a first step in a way, and I'm trying to see
where this way leads us.

Tiago.