Re: How to best reach the users of a package?

On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 12:38:31PM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> per second (assuming even distribution). That is not an irrelevant
> amount of traffic even with static web pages, never mind dynamically
> generated, customized RSS feeds.

Just a diff in addition to what has already been said on that: there are
infinite trade-off within. On one end you have completely dynamic,
customized RSS feeds. On the other per-package RSS feeds (where the
"expression" you are allowed to filter on is just the package name)
generated only when a new entry is added to the feed.

Just try with something in the middle, use the mirrors and see what is
the traffic load.

Mako, do you have any figure about how many feed download requests
planet.debian.net receive per day?

> (I'd actually rather see we didn't have such a service, since we can't
> rely on it reaching all users anyway.)

I don't buy this argument. Setting up an opt-in way to get notified is
far better than the nothing at all we have right now. Moving from an
opt-in to an opt-out policy is just a matter of how we deliver the RSS
feed to end user workstations.

Cheers.