Re: How to best reach the users of a package?

Lars Wirzenius, 2006-08-06 11:40:06 +0200 :

> One million users polling once day, causing one kilobyte of HTTP
> traffic, results in 30 gigabytes of traffic per month, and about 11
> hits per second (assuming even distribution). That is not an
> irrelevant amount of traffic even with static web pages, never mind
> dynamically generated, customized RSS feeds.

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that.  But, ehm, since news bits can be
classified per source package, they could be generated once a day, fed
to dak and friends, in the pool and pushed to the mirrors.  It
wouldn't add much to the synchronisation time, since many of the feed
files wouldn't change from one day to the next, and those that did,
would keep pretty small.  If we go for only one feed (and not one per
source package), then it'd be even faster for push time, compensated
by the fact that users have to download one (much bigger) file instead
of lots of (smaller) files.

  I agree it's an added hit in bandwidth for mirrors, but I'm not sure
it's big.  It's probably on the order of magnitude of the Packages
files (or their diffs) in size.  And the same Pdiff trick could be
used, maybe?

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

The cherry blossom / Tumbles from the highest tree / One needs more petrol
  -- in Good Omens (Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman)