Re: How to best reach the users of a package?

Hi,
* martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> [2006-08-05 22:51]:
> So I made a mistake in the mdadm version currently in testing, and
> published [0] to -testing and -user at the same time as I uploaded
> a new version.
>
> 0. http://lists.debian.org/debian-testing/2006/07/msg00014.html
[...]
> I envision a tool (warning: braindump ahead) that we install *by
> default* on a standard system, which uses cron to wake up once a day
> and check online for important announcements regarding all installed
> packages, and mails them to root if any are found. I was thinking
> first to use the BTS for that, but we don't want that. The PTS also
> does not provide what we need for this, so it'd be another service,
> possibly one actually using the mirrors for distribution. And we'd
> need a policy/moderation so as to prevent spamming the users.
>
> What do you think?

I really like your idea. Maybe a non-cron based system
(maybe with a gui frontend) would fit better in the needs of
a user. For example imagine how great it would be if you
could use an aptitute news unstable to get the current
status of packages in unstable. You don't have to go to IRC
to check out the topics of the debian channels wheter they
have information about your broken package (etc.)
or not. But not only bugs (there is also the BTS) but
general NEWS about the state of the distribution.

> Can we reuse our current infrastructure for this
> service?

I think your suggestion needs an addional tool (website or
whatever) where all debian developers have access and can
publish important news (similar to debian/NEWS) in some kind
of rss feed which collects additional information from the
BTS (pts, buildd).
Kind regards
Nico

--