Re: package ownership in Debian

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 11:05:39 -0500, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> said:

> Hubert Chan dijo [Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 02:44:01PM -0400]:
>> Yes, I understand your point.  And truth be told, I sometimes forget
>> about bugs too, without a ping.
>>
>> My concern as a maintainer is that in case of a bad NMU, it shouldn't
>> add any unnecessary burden to me.  If it is very easy for me to
>> remove the upload from DELAYED (even if I'm not a DD, and don't have
>> access to gluck), that would be fine with me.  Alternatively, if
>> DELAYED requested a confirmation from the NMUer when the NMU reached
>> 0-days (so that inaction by the NMUer resulted in no change, rather
>> than resulting in a possibly bad NMU going into the archive), that
>> would be fine with me too.  As long as I don't have to depend on
>> other people to get rid of the NMU, or to make a no-op upload, or to
>> jump through similar hoops.

> It seems you are a nice and good maintainer - But there are many MIA
> guys. If every NMU would require them to OK the upload, we would be
> stuck :-/

No, I don't want to require maintainers to have to OK an NMU.  I know
that a lot of maintainers are MIA, and wouldn't want my own NMUs to be
stalled by a nonresponsive maintainer.

I want to either allow maintainers to easily remove an NMU (even if they
are not DDs -- e.g. by sending a mail from an address listed in the
maintainer or uploaders field), or require the NMUer (not the
maintainer) to confirm the upload before it gets into the archive.

> A NMU is not (very) hard to revert if done wrong - just upload a new
> version. Even if the uploader is a lousy DD and didn't send a patch,
> you can use debdiff. Of course, NMUs should limit to fixing one bug,
> doing as little besides that as possible, but if they don't it's not
> _that_ hard to revert.

True, but it's still extra work that would I as a maintainer would
otherwise not have to do, making my job as maintainer just a bit less
enjoyable.

(And if they decide to NMU a new upstream version, then I'll need to add
an epoch to revert.)

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)