Re: package ownership in Debian

Hubert Chan dijo [Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 02:44:01PM -0400]:
> Yes, I understand your point.  And truth be told, I sometimes forget
> about bugs too, without a ping.
>
> My concern as a maintainer is that in case of a bad NMU, it shouldn't
> add any unnecessary burden to me.  If it is very easy for me to remove
> the upload from DELAYED (even if I'm not a DD, and don't have access to
> gluck), that would be fine with me.  Alternatively, if DELAYED requested
> a confirmation from the NMUer when the NMU reached 0-days (so that
> inaction by the NMUer resulted in no change, rather than resulting in a
> possibly bad NMU going into the archive), that would be fine with me
> too.  As long as I don't have to depend on other people to get rid of
> the NMU, or to make a no-op upload, or to jump through similar hoops.

It seems you are a nice and good maintainer - But there are many MIA
guys. If every NMU would require them to OK the upload, we would be
stuck :-/

A NMU is not (very) hard to revert if done wrong - just upload a new
version. Even if the uploader is a lousy DD and didn't send a patch,
you can use debdiff. Of course, NMUs should limit to fixing one bug,
doing as little besides that as possible, but if they don't it's not
_that_ hard to revert.

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23