Re: Reforming the NM process

I guess we both have mostly made our points.  And while it's more work
to put up a new system than to extend an existing one, I agree that it's
doable.

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 10:36:14AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         If you concentrated a bit more one getting things done, rather
>  than talking about why it can't be done, and waiting for other
>  people, you might actually reach your goals.
[...]
>         Bottom line remains: show us the code.

I can't help finding this a bit rude, because I am getting things done
(like trying to get into and through NM), and because things like this
are not entirely technical in nature.  I'm sorry for making you
frustrated.  I've also seen newcomers make suggestions that seem
unreasonable to me...

>         As I said, suggestions on how other people can do work are
>  cheap. The current DPL went on his own and set up the testing on his
>  own, just a proof of concept script set. ANd then, it was inducted in
>  as how Debian releases.

This is a good point, and I will probably see into it when I have time
(such as when, or if, I get to be a DD).  It will need some coordination
with the main archive if we want automatic package transition based on
some criteria, but I can try and see how much it will require changes to
dak/katie/whatever.

>         Err, if you want to actually get something done, set up the
>  voting, and show what the user response was, in parrallel to
>  an official vote.  Perhaps DD's would be influenced, and it would be

This is an interesting idea, too.  Thank you.

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 10:43:36AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         You have not yet proved your thesis that either opening the
>  decision making process to the unwashed masses, including people who
>  have lottle or no commitment to the project, would actually improve
>  the decisions, and secondly, that being able to take part in a poll
>  actually improves participation.

That's true.  I'm sorry, I find it difficult to come up with a way to
"prove" this.

>         /. like polls (which is what your voting idea sounds like) do

Maybe it sounds like that, but is not.  Things are not that black and
white: an open poll on /. is, after all, quite different from a
Condorcet vote given to identified individuals.

Panu

--
personal contact:	panu.kalliokoski@helsinki.fi, +35841 5323835
technical contact:	atehwa@iki.fi, http://www.iki.fi/atehwa/