Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

Scripsit Kevin Mark <kmark@pipeline.com>
> On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:39:15PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:

>> A translator whose general modus operandi is leave his translation
>> unmaintained once it is written should not become a voting member of
>> Debian anyway - not any more than a packager who leaves his package
>> unmaintained once it is uploaded.

> so if a translator will commit to 'maintaing' a particular package
> translation, would that be a demonstration of the same commitment to the
> 'project' like software package maintaing and could then lead to him/her
> being a DD?

I don't see why it shouldn't be sufficient for the "has already done
good work for Debian" part of the existing process. Whether it
demonstrates overall commitment would need to be judged by the AM. For
example, translating the 4 strings in some obscure and close-lipped
tool would probably not in itself be evidence of great commitment, but
taking care of the translation of packages with hundreds of strings
would.

There is no direct parallel to this question for packagers, because
having a package survive the NEW queue already only happens if the
package is not completely trivial. On the other hand, a package with 4
translateable strings might well welcome translations, even though
each translation itself is trivial.

--
Henning Makholm                   "We will discuss your youth another time."