Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

Re: Manoj Srivastava 2006-04-06 <[🔎] 87vetm1n8y.fsf@glaurung.internal.golden-gryphon.com>
> > <quote who="Steve Langasek" date="Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 02:30:46AM
> > -0700">
> >> And maybe I'm too heavily steeped in Debian culture to take an
> >> objective view, but I don't see any reason why translators,
> >> documentation writers, artists, et al. should look at the term
> >> "developer" and conclude it's not for them.

The term "Developer" has been used for many years in Debian, and
efforts to change it are doomed to fail. No current (package-
maintaining) developer will want to give that title away. What we can
do, is to extend this title to all kinds of Debian (contributing)
members, be it artists, lawyers, whatever. I'm very much in favor of
doing this.

> > First, none of these groups usually think of the work that they do
> > as development. That's just not he way the word is used. But that'a
> > semantic argument. The larger reason that this is a problem is
> > because:
> >
> > (1) We as a project (and an NM project) are hesitant to give these
> > people developership since it means they can upload to the
> > project which introduces a set of potential risks and problems
> > (one more account to compromise, etc).

I agree that this is a problem. We have to make up our mind of who we
want to accept as member ("Developer"). I'm willing to discuss that at
Debconf, so if anyone else is interested in doing this, please tell
me.

>         I'm sorry. If we can't trust these people not to abuse upload
>  privileges, then I certainly do not want to see them get  a say in
>  deciding how we conduct the project's business.
>
>         Eiether we trust them, in which case we should induct them in
>  as full members, or we don't, and in that case they do not get to
>  vote.

My fullest ack here. Half-memberships of all kinds doesn't help, and
just insults people. Either we accept someone as a member and trust
them to use their abilities to the best (i.e. they won't NMU glibc if
they are an artist, and won't redesign the Debian logo if they are a
kernel hacker), or we shouldn't accept them as member.

This doesn't mean that every developer would have access to every
corner of the project (like currently, not every DD is a member of the
'debadmin' unix group), but that there are no un-crossable borders
(I'm a "package DD", yet I could ask for access to the webwml group to
start translating webpages).

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/