Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 12:35:54AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 06 April 2006 23:55, Erinn Clark wrote:
> > Do you mean this question? (Actually about ld, but it's the closest one
> > I found that seemed appropriately irrelevant.)
> >
> >     I3. What is the -Bsymbolic ld flag, exactly what does it do, and
> > how that differs from library symbol versioning? What problems do
> > -Bsymbolic linking solve? Why is libc6 not compiled with -Bsymbolic?
>
> I would guess this is a question from the T&S part of the process, the
> part that is supposed to be tailored to the applicant. At least, I'm very
> happy to say, I have never seen this question during my NM process
> (which, as you probably know, was the translator/documentation writer
> track).

I have seen the question, and answered it. If you were to ask it again
to me, I wouldn't know the answer. I'd probably either do the same
research again, or look in my NM archives -- I think the latter is
probably fastest.

I've never maintained a C library, though I did agree to help a little
bit on some C++ library recently. I don't expect I'll go looking up what
-Bsymbolic means even now.

Is this question useless? I don't know. Apparantly, it didn't help me in
any way. And this is the type of question that can get obsolete too.
What is much more useful to test, but can't *that* easily be done with a
fixed questionaire, is ensuring people can apply common sense, and can
research things they need. From a DD, I expect that given a challenge, a
technical packaging issue previously totally unkown, one can some way or
the other resolve it. That is what you're doing as DD anyway, you get
the weirdest issues in bugs, as user questions, etc, and you need to
find a way to resolve that. Policy doesn't mention your special case, so
you're on your own.

I'd very much like for more emphasis being placed on such problem
resolution capabilities, next to also interaction/communication
capabilities (with bugreporters, fellow DDs, upstreams, etc etc).

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl