Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On Monday 03 April 2006 09:15, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 07:27:05AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Clytie Siddall <clytie@riverland.net.au>
> >
> > > I don't understand why this election is restricted to Debian
> > > Developers. What about all the other people who regularly contribute
> > > time and effort to the Debian project?
> >
> > This is a known bug, I think, but I don't remember any of this
> > year's candidates pledging to solve it.
>
> Er.  "Known bugs" are a subset of those things which are "bugs"; I don't
> see many people who actually think it's a bug that only full members of
> the project are allowed to vote.  (Most developers seem to agree that
> there are bugs in our process for integrating new members into the
> project, but that's not the same as saying that non-DDs should be allowed
> to vote -- voting rights are one of the few privileges that are reserved
> only for developers, and arguably the most important.)

the bug would be the perception that you can't become a DD (=full member)
when you're a translator/documentation writer, which is largely a
consequence of the 'developer' part of the name.

Now how easy it is for a pure translator/documentation writer/... to pass
NM, I don't know, but from what I hear it _is_ possible with the NM process
nowadays (though again the maintainer is a disnomer in that case).
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)