Re: device discovery question before doing a motherboard upgrade.

On Friday 20 January 2006 21:02, water modem wrote:
> I have given up searching the Debian sites and Google and usenet groups
> for the answer to a simple question.
> If I want to upgrade a Sarge 2.6 install to a new motherboard without
> re-installing Debian....

"Sarge" is the name of the 3.1 stable release of Debian. You are confusing
it with the Linux kernel of version 2.6.x which is the kernel that
provides drivers for your hardware. Whether the hardware is detected
depends very much on the Linux kernel you install. The default kernel
package that ships with Debian supports a wide variety of hardware
devices. So unless you have created a kernel from your own configuration
settings you will likely have no trouble upgrading to new hardware. But
that is beyond the scope of Debian. See [1] for a document which lists the
hardware that is supported by Linux.

Please take your question to a user support mailing list ([2]). This
mailing list only deals with non-technical issues regarding the Debian
project. So this is rather off-topic here. Thanks.

Good luck with your upgrade.

Kindly
 Christoph Haas

[1] http://mirrors.kernel.org/LDP/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/index.html