device discovery question before doing a motherboard upgrade.

I have given up searching the Debian sites and Google and usenet groups for the answer to a simple question. If I want to upgrade a Sarge 2.6 install to a new motherboard without re-installing Debian....

What do I run before or after the hardware upgrade to force device discovery to be repeated?

I want to do it right without getting in trouble and just can't find any information on the process.

Thanks
Walter Lundby