Re: Debian derivatives and the Maintainer: field (again)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 03:07:25PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> You're already rebuilding the package, which I expect entails possible
> Depends: line changes and other things which would pretty clearly
> 'normally' entail different Debian package revision numbers; changing
> the Maintainer field at the same time is just not that hard,
> *especially* when you're rebuilding the package.
>
> You're implying that this is alot of work and it's just not.  It's also
> not 'forking' in any real sense of the word.  You don't even have to
> change the version number if you don't want to.  When done in Debian,
> it's also not even a new source package (in general anyway) as the thing
> which has the Maintainer field is actually the patch.

You quite obviously haven't read
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/05/msg00260.html yet, where I
wrote (among other important things), "it would be fairly straightforward
for Ubuntu to override the Maintainer field in binary packages".  I
explained exactly what is and isn't difficult and for whom.

If you're going to attack me, please do it on the basis of what I've
actually said.  Honestly, I expected better from you, give that you've acted
like a human being toward me on IRC on several occasions in the past.

--
 - mdz