Re: Debian Etch Stable.

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 12:48:16AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 08:40:41AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > I would further expect that you didn't try to pollute the experiment result
> > with stuff like the mail starting this thread. From the tone of that mail, it
> > indicated clearly that for you the experiment was over, and that you called
> > for experiment oponents to be remotivated for that.
> > Sorry, but again, this cannot happen until the final report is there, and your
> > mail was all but a good idea.
>
> Dunc-Tank's activities for the etch release are almost over, aside from some
> logistical things that still need to be completed. If you're worried about
> people being payed to do work, and not doing it because you're not being
> paid, well, that's ceasing very shortly.

Well, i worry about long ranging negative effects, but that is hardly the
point.

> If it's the concept of an experiment at all that bothers you -- ie,
> doing something that some people (including yourself) don't agree with,

Nope, i was in favour of paying the RMs, altough the sum paid in the end seem
to be way bigger than what was lead to believe at first, but i would have paid
for it with actual debian money.

> that might not work, that's controversial, that hasn't been 100% thought
> out and proven to be correct and already tried elsewhere -- well, it's
> fair enough that you should continue being upset. Though I think you'll
> have trouble finding somewhere in free software that people are that
> conservative that you won't continue getting upset.

That is beside the point.

> Personally, if you're already upset by things I've said or done, I
> wouldn't recommend you rely on any report I might work on to make you
> feel that much better. :-/

Well, as said, i think this is a very good time to make an actual, third-party
and impartial sociological study of the impact of this "experiment", as said,
there where various people doing such studies of the debian community, why
don't you, as DPL, contact one of them, or more, and ask them if they want to
investigate the event, and provide us real data, instead of a partisan
one-sided report ?

Will you dare to do this, and maybe find results you are not confortable with ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther