Re: Use of tokens for access to Debian resources?

Le 14.11.2006, à 20:10:40, Stephen R Marenka a écrit:
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 10:58:38PM +0000, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
>
> > I don't see what's so wrong with a smart card or so.  GnuPG cards do
> > exist already, and is it so much to need a card reader?  If the
> > project is shelling out the money anyway they could easily include the
> > card readers too.
>
> Cards are very portable, card readers much less so.

You have smart card readers that are the size of a USB memory token.
Some even include a flash memory.

For example:
- Eutron SIM Pocket Combo
- Gemplus GemPC Key
- Kobil KAAN SIM III
- Kobil KAAN mIDentity

Other examples but the smart card is soldered inside the reader and
can't be changed:
- RSA SecureID SID800
- Eutron CryptoIdentity
- Verisign Secure Storage Token

You can see pictures of these smart card readers on the web page of a
free software CCID driver [1]. This driver is available in Debian in the
libccid package.

Your smart card must be a SIM plugin form factor. I don't know if the
GnuPG card is available in that format.

Note that you can plug the RSA SecureID token in a PC and use a small
program to get the number displayed on the token screen. So you do not
need a braille interface.

Regards,

[1] http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid.html

PS: I think designing a hardware solution ourself is a stupid idea.
Unless Debian becomes a hardware manufacturer...

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau                        Ludovic.Rousseau@free.fr
 -- Normaliser Unix c'est comme pasteuriser le camembert, L.R. --