Re: Proposal: Handling of changelog bug closures in Debian derived distros

Hi Guillem,

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 08:11 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> Right now there's no clean way for a Debian derivative to close bugs
> specific to their distro in a changelog entry and then distinguish
> those from Debian bugs.

Yes, "for a Debian derivative".

> I'd like that developers from derivatives would get involved in this
> discussion

Absolutely.  It's in the interest of the derivatives.

I don't think that the Debian project should lead this discussion.

How many derivatives currently automatically parse the changelogs to
update their bug tracking systems? Maybe only Ubuntu, I'm not sure.

> so that we can get a general solution for everyone,

A solution for the derivative.  Or for multiple derivatives if they
agree on using the same solution.  I don't think it's a solution for
Debian.

> as I
> think Debian should be responsible for providing the infrastructure
> to do that.

No, I don't think that Debian is responsible for helping derivatives to
automate the updating of the derivatives' bug tracking systems.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with cooperating with Ubuntu
or other derivatives.  But I think that joint efforts should make Debian
better.  If not then I wonder if Debian should do the efforts.

> So I'd propose to extend the changelog format

I have not yet studied your proposal, because I want to get some bugs
fixed before etch releases. :)

Regards,

Bart Martens