Re: http://wiki.debian.org/SvenLutherAndDI (Was: Open Letter to Anthony Towns about the d-i mediation ...)

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:54:38PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Surely we have passed this point a month or two ago.  We are wasting
> > everyone's time.
> >
> > Sven, please just live and let live.
>
> John, what do you think this is all about ? I would be very very happy to
> follow this advice, this is indeed my most express wish, but the sad truth is
> that Frans is the one who is unable to 'live and let live'.

Sven, it doesn't matter.  It truly doesn't.

If he says an insult, please just ignore it.

If he rejects your patch, please just ignore it.

If he keeps you out of d-i, please just ignore it.

Please, think about what's best for the project.

Do you think you raise other developers' opinions of you by continuing
to raise these old issues?  My opinion of you keeps going lower and
lower each time you do it.  Right now, I would pretty much reject an
offer from you to help me -- with anything -- immediately, on the
grounds that working with you is too much effort to benefit me.

You aren't accomplishing anything for Debian with this thread.  You
probably know that this thread isn't going to change people's minds
now.  You need to accept that life is the way it is, that life is not
fair, and that this is the way things are. It's not the first time
someone has been excluded from a free software project, and it's not
the last.

As Ted T'so pointed out in another thread, people have gotten rich off
his work and he hasn't seen much from it.  It's not fair, but he still
works on Linux.

One of my GRs was never voted on becuase the Debian secretary (NOT
Manoj) at the time was AWOL.  That was annoying, maybe unfair, but you
don't see me still bringing it up 6 years later (except as an example
of how to let go!)  I still believe -- very deeply -- that I was
right, and that Debian still follows the wrong path.

If you think you can do d-i better, then fork it, and be silent until
you have written your better version.  Let people look at it, accept
or reject it on its merits, and then accept whatever happens, even if
you don't like it.

> Yeah, and since many folk have the same kind of opinion as you, we are having
> this conversation months after the issue could have been solved.

That fact that the conversation exists does not make it beneficial for
the project.

You need to forgive Frans and d-i for whatever you think they did to
you.

We all need to know when to just drop something.

Please, do it now.

-- John