Re: Using money to fund real Debian work

On Wednesday 11 October 2006 13:18, Martin Schulze wrote:

> > > Hmm, maybe it is because the developer is jealous on/of somebody
> > > being directly or indirectly paid by the project while they are
> > > not?
> >
> > My personal belief is that being jealous is wrong.
>
> Many people consider feelings/attitude of other people wrong.  That
> doesn't remove their feelings, though.
>
> > If you, Martin Schulze, were given financial compensation to work full
> > time on key Debian taks, and you'd enjoy it, I'd be very happy for
> > you.
>
> I would probably reject this.  Depending on the source I would reject
> it at least.

If one wants to devote more of his/her time to the Debian Project then the
most natural thing is to find/get a job which allows him/her to work on
Debian as much as s/he can, also allowing him/her to comply with debian's
rules, procedures, practices, etc. Btw, do you think that people paid by OSDL
do the wrong thing and their salaries destroy their free software projects ?
I don't think so. Surely money can destoy or create, but no one asks for
money for himself here, there is a group of people who wants to bring more of
the time of another group of people and are willing to donate for that
purpose... and Debian (resp. SPI) has always accepted donations of money,
equipment and services AFAIK. Please re-read the reply of Russ Allbery on
that topic [1] and describe why a given Uni can fund DDs, but DDs shouldn't
fund other DDs if they want to ...

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2006/10/msg00074.html

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB