Re: Using money to fund real Debian work

Le dim 8 octobre 2006 14:18, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> And if the comments associated to the project proposal indicate that
> there's some controversy in the idea behind the project, then the
> donor would be aware that there's a risk that the stuff doesn't get
> integrated into Debian proper.

hahah, and you expect to find donors with that ?

> > > You don't want donors to decide directly what to fund and you
> > > don't want us to tell them what to fund?
> >
> > did i said that ? you misread me.
> >
> > I want the donor to decide what they want to fund, and choose who
> > they will fund directly, because asking Debian would either be
> > done: (1) through GRs (hahahahahaha)
> >  (2) through a small comitee that would be biased, or that would
> > suffer from *BIG* conflicts of interests.
>
> You don't list the solution that I explained: with an always-running
> vote among developers. The DD who have been mentors for Google's
> summer of code have used a web application to evaluate the proposals
> of students. While it was far from perfect, it worked quite well to
> identify the projects which were the most desired/popular.

I don't like any form of censorship/moderation/vote/whatever. full stop.
because that gives to much power to the censor/moderator/voters/... or
is completely unrealistic (because needs a full GR or such heavy
procedure).

> Giving some hints now, while I'm trying to design that proposal would
> be helpful... I discussed my proposal with you at several occasions
> on IRC, it was also relatively detailed in my french blog post on the
> subject.

you discussed many subparts of it, I've seen no aggregated document of a
full proposal yet, and I'm not sure to remember all the parts, nor if
you accepted to remove some bits I didn't like or not, etc…

you're asking for an answer I won't give without concrete material.

> > > And even if technicall bad but known developers are paid to do
> > > some work, nothing prevents technically good developers to make
> > > sure the project is sane from the beginning by reviewing the
> > > project proposals on the infrastructure. And nothing prevents
> > > further improvements later in the process. Being paid doesn't
> > > mean that we stop doing free software.
> >
> > did I said so ? are you trying to divert my thoughts into some lame
> > FUD ? or did you truly not understood me to that level ?
>
> I only explained why paying known developers doesn't result in
> technically bad decisions for Debian...

My concern is about money driving how decisions are taken or not. It
always ends in bad technical solutions, so my fear is legitimate. My
other concern is about how people that do the bounties are chosen, I
say that chosing the known ones is unfair, and should not be done.
don't mix the two in an incoherent tossed salad.

> Wasn't that the point of your rethoric question ("Good technical
> solutions are still what Debian is about right ?") ?

that question was just a mild provocation, aka a rhetorical effect.
please don't offend me in trying to answer to that.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit