Re: Filibustering general resolutions

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:15:14 +1000, Pascal Hakim <pasc@redellipse.net> said:

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 10:09:04AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Due to a loop hole in the constitution, any group of 6 Debian
>> developers can delay any general resolution indefinitely by putting
>> up their own amendment, and every 6 days, making substantiative
>> changes in their amendment (they can just rotate between a small
>> number of very different proposals).
>>
>> Previously, I had stated that I, in my role as secretary, would set
>> an deadline for proposals two weeks in the future, and any
>> proposals past the deadline would go no a separate ballot, in order
>> to break the filibuster, even though the constitution did not
>> specifically permit that.
>>
>> I realize now that that would be a an egregious abuse of the powers
>> of the secretary, censorship, and grievously wrong procedure. I am
>> no longer willing to step in and break filibusters.
>>
>> The project should decide how it wants to handle filibustering, if
>> it feels like doing anything about it, of course. But now, any GR
>> has a veto contingent of only 6 developers.
>>

> If a group of developers started filibustering a GR over and over
> again, the DAMs would be well within their rights to pull the
> accounts of the people in question.

> A denial of service attack is grounds for exclusion and DMUP states:
> "Don't by any ... reckless ... act interfere with the work of
> another developer ...".

        And people tell me I am guilty of egregious abuse of power?
 This is just a bunch of concerned developers very slowly crafting a
 resolution. I am sure I can make my resolution come to perfection
 over the course of several years.

        If the DAM can suddenly exercise judgement, and it is not
 abuse of power, why is a brainless secretary so very desirable?

        manoj
--
Well, you know, no matter where you go, there you are. Buckaroo Banzai