Re: Recompilation of ALL Debian packages ...

On Saturday 02 September 2006 02:41, Russ Allbery wrote:
> martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:
> > The reason I am pushing for this is because of two of my clients, who
> > have been wanting to use Debian for three years now but consciously
> > decided against it, because it is not guaranteed that the sources and
> > the binaries in our archives correspond for all architectures. They are
> > well aware that trojans can still exist, but it's an entirely different
> > thing whether they exist in source and hence in all architectures (which
> > would result in some serious negative feedback or even revocation of
> > upload rights), or just in one of the binaries and hence would be much
> > harder to detect/analyse.
>
> I honestly think the security argument for doing this is silly.

True, and Martin's reasoning is about consistency across the architectures,
not that much after security, as I read it.

> However, that does not mean I think it's a bad idea.  I actually think
> it's a good idea, but for a somewhat different reason.  Every single time
> we get ready to release stable, someone builds every package in the
> distribution and then encounters a bunch of FTBFS errors, particularly for
> arch: all packages.  Many of those errors were always there and were never
> detected because we don't build arch: all packages anywhere outside the
> maintainer's system.

Fortunately there are lots of people running personal autobuilders and
reporting FTBFS's lately, even in the arch:all packages.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB