Re: Rethinking stable updates policy

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 10:57:45PM +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> The rough plan is to provide an alternative set of updated kernel packages
> and potentially also xservers (depending on how modular the new X.org
> modulization really is) nine months after Etch release. ian.org

This may be problematic. The server's ABI version will change, requiring
the old drivers to be rebuilt or new drivers. This may or may not happen
every upstream X.org release, I can't really say without more experience,
but the ABI did break between 7.0 and 7.1.

The server should work fine without too many additional backports of the
libs or protocol headers though. The 7.1 server only requires an update of
one lib and two protocol headers from 7.0. I'd imagine that this will be
more or less the average.

 - David Nusinow