Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:03:17PM +0200, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 05:38:07PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Note that while Peter is currently in the n-m queue (on hold pending
> > further response to T&S checks apparently), he's not yet a developer,
> > and his expectations shouldn't be inferred to be those of the developers
> > as a whole.
> Interesting, is this why the discussion is on a public mailing list?
> Personally I am not a DD either nor am I in the NM queu, however I was
> always under the impression that my opinion as a users matters (and
> should matter IMHO) to Debian anyway.

Just to be clear: you're completely correct, users' opinions do matter,
and the opinions of people in the new-maintainer queue are pretty much
on a par with individual developers' opinions, except that they don't
actually get counted when it comes time to tally the votes.

Sometimes, some opinions won't be addressed because others will take
precedence -- such as "it'd be great if perl weren't essential" not
being addressed due to the complexity of doing so and the tradeoffs
that would involve; but that doesn't mean the opinion isn't valued,
or that it won't be addressed later if it becomes possible.

I didn't say Peter's take didn't matter, because personally I consider
it self-evident and unarguable that it does matter. The followup was
only intended to make sure it was clear that it *was* Peter's take,
and not necessarily the project's, and that debate is still appropriate.

And *this* one I will sign as DPL.

Cheers,
aj

--