Re: How to best reach the users of a package?

> On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 03:57:22PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
>> Scripsit Roland Mas <lolando@debian.org>
>> > Yeah, I hadn't thought of that.  But, ehm, since news bits can be
>> > classified per source package, they could be generated once a day, fed
>> > to dak and friends, in the pool and pushed to the mirrors.
>> I wonder how much it would confuse apt and its friends if we simply
>> piggybacked the information onto the Packages records by adding a new
>> field (with the entire text or just an URL), but without bumping the
>> version number.
>
> It wouldn't confuse apt at all -- we already do that for Task: overrides,
> eg. I don't know if the code already exists for adding multi-line overrides
> (like Description: as opposed to Section:), though I'm not sure that would be
> a good idea (cf translations etc) either.
>
> It wouldn't be overly difficult to do this on a trial basis, if someone
> wanted to maintain the information and work out some sort of way to
> measure whether it's actually a good idea or not.
>
> Cheers,
> aj

I think it is a bad idea. News must be independent to the Packages
file. The idea is to (among others) reach stable/testing users with
important information. If that has to wait for britney or a full
release cycle to reach them then it is useless. And asking them to
download the unstable Packages files all the time just for news is a
big waste of bandwith.

Only unstable users would benefit from it and they have Debian.News
and changelogs for that.

MfG
        Goswin