Re: How to best reach the users of a package?

Scripsit Roland Mas <lolando@debian.org>

> Yeah, I hadn't thought of that.  But, ehm, since news bits can be
> classified per source package, they could be generated once a day, fed
> to dak and friends, in the pool and pushed to the mirrors.

I wonder how much it would confuse apt and its friends if we simply
piggybacked the information onto the Packages records by adding a new
field (with the entire text or just an URL), but without bumping the
version number.

That would give us the mirror distribution and user-pushing mechanism
for free. Dak would need code to merge in the news, and (probably)
apt-listchanges would need code to extract it. At the next upload, the
message would move to NEWS.Debian, so the packages file would not be
burdened indefinitely.

Henning Makholm                       "You propose to avoid dying? I will be
                 interested to hear the method you plan for this endeavour."