Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 07:28:20 +1000, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> said:

> On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 11:22:15AM -0400, Hubert Chan wrote:
>> And it also wouldn't help those of us who aren't DDs (yet), as we
>> would have to get someone else to delete it for us, which with
>> possible delays may be too late.

> Can non-DDs upload to the DELAYED queues and get the package through
> anyway?

Not that I know of.

> I'd hope not, since it'd be a massive hole.  So, there's a DD involved
> / responsible for the delayed upload in the first place, they should
> make sure they can clear it again if necessary.

Well, I would prefer not having to depend on other people to do work,
especially when small time limits are involved.  Say someone uploads a
NMU to 7-day.  It takes me a few days to be notified (since I'm not
online all the time), and then takes it takes me a little while to
review the patch, and find out that it has a nasty bug.  So I try tell
the NMUer to withdraw the package, and he gets my message a few days
later, and by then, it's already too late and the package is already in
the archive.  (Hence my "which with possible delays may be too late".)

Or the NMUer puts "remove buggy NMU" on his todo list, and forgets about
it until it's too late.

In general, I prefer failure models where, if I'm depending on someone
to do something, failure to act results in the status quo, instead of
potentially introducing new breakages.

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)