Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 15:00 +0200, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Loïc Minier wrote:
> >  So, more a "spec -> validation -> team -> NMUs" workflow than giving
> >  superpowers to some developers in some areas.
> Let's keep the spec thing somewhat low profile. We're not having
> exclusively good experiences with that at the moment. The python policy
> thing is plainly sad and I'd much rather have someone wildly NMUing
> packages and not be able to do dist-upgrades without thinking for a
> month than having people like Joe W. give up.

I dropped my packages because the policy was changing rapidly, everyone
was interested in writing code/tools rather than a good specification of
how Python packages should be made. Also, I had been waiting for six
months with no progress ("wait for Matthias", "wait for Debconf", "wait
for videos", "wait for Matthias", "wait for Joss to pull a 180", "wait
for Matthias").

I would much rather have a carefully thought-out policy than people who
barely know Python instigating mass NMUs trying to reach a target that
changes every few weeks. Which is to say, I like Loïc's idea.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>