Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 12:54:39PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
>
> > What if we introduced the concept of "area" maintenance? Like saying
> > "Matthew Garrett is part of our hardware support team, so can thus NMU
> > any package that needs changes to support that release goal." with the
> > proviso that a bug gets filed with the NMU patch [0] at the same time.
> > We already have something like that with 0-day NMUs for certain
> > transitions authorised by the RMs.
>
> That's certainly an interesting idea, and I'd be happy to explore it.
> How do other people feel?

I like the idea.

Frankly, I've never quite understood this "hands off my package"
attitude.  As long as someone isn't breaking my package (and is fixing
it if they do), I am happy to have an NMU.  After all, it's one less
thing I have to do to it, right?

I do get extremely irritated when someone NMUs my package and breaks
it and disappears.  But that's only happened a couple of times to me.

--
John Goerzen
Author, Foundations of Python Network Programming