Re: Debian-based miniVDR violates GPL (FYI)

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 12:02:04PM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 10:43:40AM +0200, Ciuca, Josephine <josephine.ciuca@sap.com> wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I just wanted to let you know about a GPL violation in the distribution
> > miniVDR, a distribution based on Depian with so-called GPL licensed
> > patches (www.minivdr.de). They refuse to share the sources and are
> > willing to give them only for 15euros, which is way abusive and does not
> > reflect the price of media and cd-burner usage. They constantly refused
> > to share the sources on Sourceforge or any other OSS promoting service
> > and even mailed me "the harddisk is broken, so no sources anymore". I
> > have mails from the maintainer of the distribution where he stated I
> > only get the sources for 15eur and if I think it's expensive, I should
> > use other distribution. This is abusive usage of the GPL code. Please
> > let me know if I should forward these mails too or if you need anything.
>
> Do they distribute the binary version freely or is it that the binary
> AND the source are available for 15 euros ? If the latter, there is no
> infringement of the GPL.

They have an ISO image for download at
http://minivdr.de/download/index.php, I've downloaded that and they
appear to have the binaries on them.  The licence on that CD is shown
as GPL, but I found no sources.

Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom