Re: Using the Debian open use logo to distinguish DFSG-compatible licenses

On Fri, 2006-19-05 at 07:27 +0100, MJ Ray wrote:

> Evan Prodromou <evan@debian.org>
> > [...]   http://evan.prodromou.name/CC_Licence_Distinctions
>
> I think some of that is shooting at shadows, some is hyperbole
> and some is contentious:

You're free to think what you like, but if you're going to make
derogatory public remarks, intellectual integrity requires that you
provide evidence for your opinions.

> > would it be acceptable to use the Debian trademarks (name and/or open
> > use logo) to underline that fact?
>
> At the point a licence is available permitting it.

I think at the very basic sense there's a nominal use: if works under a
license are in Debian, then it's clear and fair to use the Debian name
to state that fact.

> Isn't it confusing to use the trademark for licences rather
> than software itself?

No. The license that a work is available under is a large factor in
whether or not a work can be included in Debian. Choosing the right
license doesn't ensure that a work will be included, but choosing the
wrong license ensures that it will not.

Identifying a license as DFSG-compatible lets licensors make informed
decisions when choosing a license.

> I'd prefer to promote "this is in debian" and "this could go
> well with debian" marks for software itself, more than licences.

I hope that works out for you. Please let me know when you get that
program off the ground, and I'll contact the developers of my favourite
apps to encourage them to join in.

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou <evan@debian.org>