Re: Proposal: The future of the Debian NM process

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 22:04 -0500, Christoph Berg wrote:

[ . . . ]

> Here's my proposal:
>
> +---------
> | Introduce an intermediate role "Debian Maintainer" (DM).
> | Needs sponsoring for new packages, no vote rights. Can either proceed to
> | become DD or stay a DM.
> +---------

Limiting voting rights seems a step in the wrong direction. Doesn't
debian want more enfranchisement rather that less?

> The intention is to create an intermediate role that people can get in
> easier/earlier that allows them to learn. The expectation is that some
> people will stay here if they are happy with uploading their packages.
> At the same time, the people applying for "full" DD are more
> experienced, and hence create less load on AMs. Most non-capable
> candidates will be filtered out in the DM checks. At the same time,
> people get (restricted) upload rights earlier, such that the following
> DD process does not delay them that much from working on their packages.

Is there a way to reduce administration and bureaucracy rather than
expand it? I am astonished at the backlog in the New Maintainer
database, but maybe I am naive.

Jeremiah