Re: Debian and professional certifications

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 11:57:24PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> Em Dom, 2006-04-30 às 13:37 -0300, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)
> escreveu:
> > > Debian is a volunteer project and has neither the inclination or
> > > capability to run professional certifications, and is not involved or
> > > partnering with any other organization to provide such. This does not
> > > prevent other interested parties from providing such certification, but
> > > Debian itself has no part in them.
> > >
> > > I have personally no opinion about professional certification.
> >
> > 	Christoph Lameter [1]used to be Debian representative with
> > LPI. I don't know if I misunderstood, but I always thought that
> > Debian, in some way, supports (or recommends) LPI tests/exams as a
> > way to get a Professional Certification that involves Debian
> > knowledge.
>
> I don't see it this way, and I personally do not support Professional
> Certification, be it LPI or any other. I would not like to see Debian
> supporting them either.

Why?

Personally, I'm not convinced of the use of certifications either, and
much prefer to go by references. However, they have their use, as they
allow for some guarantee that a given person at least has an
understanding of how the system works -- although I'll agree that people
with references but no certifications are usually preferable over people
with certifications but no references.

What's your objection to them?

--
Fun will now commence