Re: Summer of Code 2006, should Debian take part?

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org>
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 07:27:03AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > We should note that Google makes a lot of their money from
> > proprietary software
>
> So do IBM and HP, and Linus before he left Transmeta. So what?

So we should note our aims seem contradictory in some ways,
but (as you cut from my message) if you can get money from
them to improve debian, good luck!

[...]
> It appears to have been fixed now; or at least, the links Jibbering Jim
> provides don't work for me.

Thanks for the update. I'll let Jibbering Musings know. I don't
retest google bugs all that often (google should do their own
damn product testing) and I couldn't test that particular one.

> I don't know about you, but personally, I think it's very reasonable for
> any company to actually _check_ their fixes before they install them in
> a rush (and find out that it breaks a whole lot of other things). Even

I think it would have been more reasonable to test the feature
properly before installing it in a rush. It's not the first bug
of its type for google, after all.

> if that wasn't the case, I don't think that an outstanding bug which is
> less than a month old is enough to be able to reasonably claim "they
> don't fix their bugs".

That was just one bug in the infestation. For example, the
ban on *.coop and the willy-nilly base64-encoding (=30% bigger
email for most latin alphabets) are still there AFAIK. We
should apply the precautionary principle to network pollution
and expect google to be conservative in what they generate.

Conversely, I don't think a belated fix to one serious bug is enough
to be able to reasonably claim they do fix their bugs much.

Thanks,
--
MJR/slef
Laux nur mia opinio: vidu http://people.debian.org/~mjr/