Re: Reforming the NM process

> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
>> Well, the idea has been proposed some times now. It has its advantages,
>> but there are still some problems - updating a page on wiki.d.o takes
>> time [1], so they tend to become outdated.
> If it becomes outdated, then the applicant has to update it if the AM ask,
> that's not too much to ask IMO.

Well, yes, but he could simply tell his AM what he did - the effort
would be the same. And besides the AM, only the FD needs that data when
an applicant is to be assigned. Currently, I solve this by searching for
"site:debian.org $applicants_name" and looking at
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=$applicants_name, which works
fine for me.

>>  I also see a problem with the fact that applicants are supposed to
>>  write those pages about their work themselves, as some people will get
>>  the idea that exaggerating could speed up their application.
> They could exagerate right now already by saying more than what they did,
> but the wiki page is stuff that the AM should then verify ... but at least
> it gives you input data for the FD when you have to assign the applicant
> to an AM (or to put him on hold because he hasn't contributed enough yet).

Well, I don't see how this changes the current work an AM has to do - it
only adds extra work for the applicant. What would help, IMO, is if
applicants would need to document what they've done when they're
entering the process, so that the FD can easily see who has bad chances
of finishing the process because he needs more experience.

>> Footnotes:
>> [1]  Especially people like me, who aren't able to remember stuff like
>>      that.
> Why would you have to update a wiki page ?

There are also applicants who are waiting for an AM and are senile
#-). I'm pretty sure that this is a problem only DDs have :-)

Marc
--
BOFH #225:
It's those computer people in X {city of world}.  They keep stuffing