Re: Reforming the NM process

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> > The bigger we get, the more difficult it is to follow that everybody is
> > behaving in accordance to our rules, and the more important it is to give only
> > the rights that someone need.
>
> I'm not opposed to finer grained permissions for package uploads. But
> those should be additional checks, not less checks. The quality and the
> overall coherency are already low enough. Telling people "you do not
> have to look around or understand what this is all about" will not solve

We'll never tell that! We just tell "we trust you to maintain <x> according
to our standards but since you didn't went (yet) through full NM, we don't
trust you on working on anything you'd want".

> any problem, as I do not believe we have a problem finding people
> willing to package something to itch their scratch, but finding people
> doing more than that.

Saying we want more people doing general QA work will not create those
people. Refusing help on specific package because some people do not want
to go through NM to maintain a very limited package is dumb:
- either we remove the (useful) package
- or we give more workload to the set of DD who could care of the other
  badly maintained packages otherwise

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog