Re: Reforming the NM process

* Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <marc@marcbrockschmidt.de> [060411 18:40]:
> The big idea is to split the NM process up and add privileges after each
> step, so that people don't need to go through the whole process to
> maintain their two pet packages on their own anymore. The current
> sponsoring process encourages this, as the work invested in getting a DD
> to sponsor a package is often greater than the actual package
> maintenance.
>
> For the first stage, applicants need to identify themselves and speak
> about the Social Contract, the DFSG and a bit about Debian's structure.
> For package maintainers, an intensive package check follows. If
> everything went fine, these people get upload permissions for *these*
> packages (and nothing else). If they want to adopt new packages, their
> AM does a package-check once and fitting upload permissions are
> added. We may need to create tools to automate this, as it could become
> quite much work for the DAM.

Isn't this almost equivalent of giving them their Account directly
and ask them to get any new package reviewed by someone else?
(As there is nothing to avoid their build rules or maintainer scripts to
do dangerous stuff, so from the risk-view this is almost a account
on every buildd and a root account on every machine installing new
versions of that package).

Plus sponsoring is a nice way to have experienced people look at what
a applicant is doing. If done seriously sponsoring is almost as much work
as packaging a package on your own, but that is true for every
teaching by letting do and looking over it.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link
--
mozilla-thunderbird: It cannot read mail, it cannot send mail. It is the
victory of dialup over the internet.