Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

Kevin Mark dijo [Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 03:26:45AM -0400]:
> > The problem is more one of 'how do we identify those people that aren't
> > a Developer, but that do contribute regularly'. Since Debian votes are
> > conducted through GPG-signed mails and regular contributors aren't part
> > of the Debian web of trust, this is more than a convenience issue. Note
> > that Debian Developers without an active key in the keyring can't vote,
> > either.
> >
> > If you have a fix for that problem, I don't see why we shouldn't support
> > it.
>
> Hi Wouter,
> the Debian web of trust is very important to things that directly affect
> things like: uploading packages, access to servers, etc. But if there
> was a vote on say 'should debian create a new irc channel for mutt
> users' or 'what applications should be translated first for the urdu
> desktop?' or 'what is the number one thing that debian users want for
> etch?'  Then would a user need to be in the Debian web of trust to
> affect those issues? What would be required, short of joining the web of
> trust?

Hi,

In many places on Earth, "voting" and "fraud" are close to being
synonimous. If we don't set up a control that makes each person to be
worth one and only one vote, we could just set up a polling gadget in
our webpage - and let the robots vote as often as they please.

If I were to decide, I would define such web of trust as people signed
directly by a DD - Maybe two hops away, but that's probably extending
it too much beyond what we know to be true.

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23