??themes

Question, I am a newbie trying linux for the first time. I have installed a couple different linux flavors trying to find the best one for me. In the others e.g. xandros downloading themes was a nightmare. I am still trying to figure out the install thing, unlike the simplicity of Win XP. I dont really understand the Tar concept. I think that I can not just use any KED downloaded theme. What do I look for in a theme to download so it is usable? then how does linux or Debian differ from windows as far as opening (unpacking the Tar) and installing. other that that I have a handle and I will tinker with the rest. From what I have seen so far, I am liking linux. I you would please help with this I would be very grateful.
Fred