Re: Private copies of list replies

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:58:35PM -0500, Matthias Julius wrote:
> Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> writes:
>
> > I don't consider it my responsibility to *manually* adjust each of my
> > replies to suit the preferences of the person I'm replying to, which is
> > why I don't always honor requests to CC.  Instead, I let people know how
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > they can express their preference in a way that many people's mailers
> > will be able to handle automatically.  If they can't be bothered to
> > tweak a header to make their preference happen, then I sure can't, either.
>
> The Debian mailing list Code of conuct at
> http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/index.en.html states:
>
> ,----
> | When replying to messages on the mailing list, do not send a carbon
> | copy (CC) to the original poster unless they explicitly request to be
> | copied.
> `----
>
> So everyone should set his MUA to only send replies to the list by
> default.

We're talking about the case of people who want to be treated exceptionally;
on Debian lists, those are people who *do* want to receive CC's on replies.
(The original topic of the tangent, of having the list also tweak MFT to
help specify list policies, was lost a couple messages back.)  Note marked
text: "requests to CC", not "requests to not CC".

--
Glenn Maynard