Re: Small teams and other platform positions...

On Friday 25 March 2005 8:50 pm, Steve Langasek wrote:
> That would be nice.  Which did you just do?  What makes a cabal -- a group
> of people meeting in person to sort out a problem, or a group of people
> making noise about the fact that people met in person to work on problems?
>
> The leap from "team" to "clique" boggles my mind.  The Vancouver meeting
> was essentially a meeting of the release team and the ftp team to discuss
> issues of common concern within areas of shared interest.  What makes it a
> clique -- the fact that these are the people on the teams doing the work,
> or the fact that we got together to work most effectively as a team in
> person?

I believe that I focused on discrete systems. I stated the somewhat obvious
fact that these meetings are not something everyone can participate in. The
criteria for participation shifts radically away from the egalitarian
approach that built Free Software.

Would the next logical step be to locate members of the "critical team" in the
same office? That would maximize the efficiencies.

I'm simply suggesting that from a leadership perspective we should be focused
on electronic methods to improve our ability to cooperate. Physical meetings
are fine, but not as a method for day-to-day operations. IMHO.

I'm a one-man cabal, so everything I say should be regarded as propaganda.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean@brainfood.com