Re: Debian's Future in the Coporate World

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 11:28:38AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Atwal, Steve <steve.atwal@ubc.ca> [2005.03.09.1847 +0100]:
> > - I've been using versions of Debian (namely Libranet) on 5-6 Linux servers at
> > work for years. I'm facing increasing opposition from senior management to
> > justify using Debian as opposed to RedHat due to the fact that most major
> > hardware and software vendors do not list Debian as being supported by their
> > product, e.g. Plone, IBM hardware, etc.
>
> Plone lists Debian as the first supported Linux distribution.

Most stuff can be made to work on Debian. This is, potentially,
different with other distributions. An install of an Oracle package on
RHEL 3, for example, forced me to downgrade the system C compiler and
libraries just to be able to install - and Oracle support RH well.

> > - I'm also facing increasing opposition since Debian doesn't seem
> > to have "as nice a GUI interface" as RedHat for performing major
> > functions such as Samba setup, clusters, networking, etc. And yes,
> > we are using WebMin.

Having worked with RHEL 3 and 4 recently and also installed SuSE 9.2 -
some of the libraries and functionality I needed just weren't there.  An
install of Debian showing CJK functionality using EMACS with Mule
extensions was the only one to show all the fonts correctly, for example
- and Debian includes three or four different methods for CJK input, all of
  which work.

> Also, make sure they get the message that you are the one to have to
> deal with the system, not them (subtly, not directly). Tell them
> that you are way more confident to be able to meet their
> requirements in terms of the services the machines offer when you
> actually know the machines and know what's going on where and when.

This is _precisely_ why I use Debian.

Update a system on the fly using apt-get update ; then do the
corresponding update with RHN, for example.

HTH,

Andy