Re: Who cares about NEW when there are bigger issues?

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:29:31AM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> (Moving to -project, as requested by Steve Langasek)

Er, that really was intended to be ironic; I wasn't meaning to encourage the
continuation of this flamewar in *any* forum.

Rather, it's incredibly irritating to come back from a face-to-face meeting
with the ftpmasters and release team -- that was announced on this mailing
list, no less -- and within 24 hours find more posts criticizing lack of
communication not only about things that will be discussed once we have a
chance to write up a report of the meeting, but also about things that were
communicated weeks ago.

Try it some time, and tell me if you don't find yourself agreeing with the
ftpmaster's frustrations about the state of our mailing lists.

> Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org> wrote:

> > On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 07:52:23AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:

> >> IMO, this actually _proves_ the case that ftpmaster is one of the
> >> biggest problems that Debian has at the moment, now that the DAM
> >> problem has been solved elegantly and efficiently.

> > Wrong, the BIGGEST problem is that we have so many people whining about NEW
> > and about other "problems" when at the same time the RC bug count does not
> > lower enough for us to make a release.

> AFAIK, the blocker for the release is not the RC bug count, but the
> missing infrastructure.  And the second biggest problem for Debian, in
> my opinion, is that it can happen that we prepare for a release "real
> soon now" for half a year (first half of 2004), only to find that there
> is some infrastructure missing and that it takes more than half a year
> to fix this.  While the fact itself is a big pain, the underlying
> reasons, the way communication and planning is done in the project, is
> the real big problem.

Oh, I certainly would have liked to be able to make better predictions of
the release schedule back at the beginning of last year; and I think we will
have a much better handle on problems of this sort after sarge, for various
reasons.  Past faults don't mean that we should just ignore the RC bugs in
testing.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer