Re: Bits from the ftpmasters

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 12:38:07PM -0700, Joel Aelwyn wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 12:26:50PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > * Joel Aelwyn (fenton@debian.org) [050220 06:50]:
> > > As was noted in another email, I have never worked with any other volunteer
> > > organization where "the right to do no work" translated into "the right to
> > > hold a position and not do the tasks associated with it", only that one
> > > could not be required to accept a position with responsibilites beyond what
> > > one wanted to do.

> > This is somehow a ghost discussion currently. Anthony is definitly doing
> > work as ftp-master, and he does good work. (This might be not so
> > visibile, but hey - if you look in closer details, you might see it.)
> > Can we perhaps stop this theoretical discussion, and work on solving
> > real problems?

> One of my 'real problems' is a completely stalled NEW queue; secondhand
> comments indicate that vorlon may have implied that it won't be processed
> for a while (maybe until after Sarge releases) because "Do we really want
> more packages in unstable while trying to freeze?" (this could be flat
> wrong, of course, and simply misreported).

No, what I said was that people shouldn't make a *fuss* about the lack of
NEW processing, because there are 108 open RC bugs right now loudly
declaring that there are more useful things they could be doing for the
project with their time before criticising how the ftpmasters are spending
theirs.  The release team has not asked the ftpmasters to stall NEW
processing; I've merely made an observation about the negative impact NEW
processing (or any code churn of a significant nature, really) has on the RC
bug count in testing.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer