Re: New Front Desk members

On Monday 31 January 2005 10:06 am, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> "they" is commonly used colloquially
> (at least around here) as a gender-neutral substitute for "he" or "she".

  And just to be ultra-clear, I don't mean "used by PC people", but rather
"used in informal speech as the preferred alternative when you don't know the
gender of the person to whom you are referring" -- much to the dismay of our
high school English teachers, who tried their best to get us to use one of
the formally correct alternatives.

  Daniel

--
/------------------- Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> ------------------\
|          Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you             |