Re: documentation x executable code

craig wrote:
> > I don't think that was the point being made, though. One problem with
> > the FDL is that an invariant section limits the uses of derived works,
>
> the limit is that you can't relicense it, or merge it with incompatible
> licenses.  so does the GPL.  so does every other free license.

Bah, that's a practical nuisance when we want to incorporate it
into a GPL'd work, but that's not new. It's a reason I dislike
the FDL, but it's not an obstacle between FDL'd works and main.

The point [which was trimmed] is that I don't know of any free
licence that lets every contributor easily limit the *subject*
of derived works. Maybe I could even claim that FDL makes a
sort of "relicensing" too *easy*.

[...]
> no, insane zealotry is always worth fighting against. reducing the
> utility of debian for some trivial pedantic point that only Holier
> Than Thou fundamentalist fuckwits can see is worth fighting against.

Yes, that's what I'm doing. I wish you'd stop fighting after so
many years. Your verbal pyrotechnics correlate with a slow-down
in the releases, you know? Start talking properly instead of
continuing your DFSG rant all the time.

Anyway, can you tell me how you rationalise arguing about
"some things are too trivial for sane people to care about"?

[...]
> > Documentation can be software and software can be documentation.
> only in the very broadest and most useless possible defintion of the
> words.
> in any useful real world definition, they are two entirely different
> things.

So, to you, craig sanders, software is never documentation?

[...]
> you must have missed it, so for your benefit the salient point was "or that
> they must be treated exactly the same".

They're collections of 0s and 1s on some storage, ultimately.
How can we distinguish every example? With yet another rule
which will cause endless future flamewars? Yes, that would be a
fantastic way to screw debian up. We have enough trouble with
the rules called copyright law, let alone inventing yet more
for ourselves. I want nothing less than debian to waste time
on letting loophole hunters try to get non-free into main.