Re: documentation x executable code

Somebody calling himself "Craig Sanders" wrote:

"a named appendix or a front-matter section of the Document that deals
*exclusively* with the *relationship* of the publishers or authors of the
Document to the Document's overall subject" (emphasis mine) -- it does not
matter in the slightest if these things can not be changed by anyone but the
original authors.  they are not in the least bit important for the task of
accurately documenting software.(a) That's not how the FSF actually uses Invariant Sections; "Funding Free Software" inthe GCC manual does not fit these criteria, for example. In practice, it's used for fairly arbitrary texts.(b) This prevents the documents from being adapted for another purpose (suchas documenting ways of funding free software). We have concluded that this isa fundamental feature of the right to modify, and the GFDL does not allow it.RMS has, in fact, said that he simply doesn't care about the right to adaptworks for another purpose; and that he believes that code and documentationshould be separate and that it is never technically desirable to have themintermerged. (This is wilful denial of reality, in which literate programming isbecoming more and more common, and is despite emacs being the original "*self-documenting*"text editor.) >these are fundamental ethical principles - censorship is evil, and you do not put words in people's mouths.This, of course, is true, and has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand.(1) Nobody advocates "putting words in people's mouths".This is discussed clearly under the heading "It's not about misrepresentation!"at my page:http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.htmlThis is becoming an old tired slander used to attack GFDL opponents.I think it is probably the most annoying misconception among GFDL supporters.(2) "Censorship" involves *prohibiting* material from being distributed. There isno censorship involved in allowing people to make their own cut-down -- "bowlderised", perhaps -- versions. Misrepresenting such versions as being theoriginal is of course not acceptable. Attempting to suppress the original is of course not acceptable. Being allowed to create and distribute such versions,however, is part and parcel of freedom to modify.In fact, given that "Invariant Sections" are required to be off-topic, anyhalf-decent editor would remove them immediately!--Of course, if the Invariant Sections were copies of Microsoft's libelous andmisleading anti-Linux TCO "study", I suspect there would be less support for them.Given that they are moderately good and vaguely on-topic essays, which we wouldlove to include *if* they were under free licenses, people seem to want to rescue them.Gervase Markham made an amusing statement in another context which actually is verytrue -- and seems to often be the situation where some people want to abandonfreeness:"We're happy to say that Debian doesn't tend to ship software that sucks - but you want the freedom to do so, and let others do so. And I understand that. :-)"--Apologies for the brain-dead mailer. Won't happen again, I hope.